So, did you get one Mike?
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
delnorter
Gold Miner

Re: The River

Post by delnorter » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 pm

No darn it Jim, I didn't. Had a great time camping out and running a quadrant around. A few hikes and a little spot and stock. Very few other hunters during the weekdays. Real nice.

I saw a nice 3 point, a better 4 pointer and couple beautiful bears but couldn't get close enough for a shot with the bow.

Rifle season starts this coming weekend. My boys will hike into the Trinity Alps but its just to tough for me any more. I will try for one of these wily coastal blacktail.

Mike
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 pm

wily coastal blacktail. ???? Now by contrast the eastern Whitetail is wily.

You obviously haven't seen the parade of very large Blacktails that hang around my house and even sleep in the heat of the day in the doorway of my shed. Nothing wily about them. I'm not sure how to count points by western standards, but these guys are large by any standards.

It possibly helps that my place is full of apple and pear trees. :lol:

Sorry I missed you when you were here Mike. I wish had known you were coming so we could meet over a cuppa.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:11 pm

OK, a month has passed since I made the original thread. Smoke has been minimal upriver from Seiad Valley since that time. As of today (9/27) we have mostly smoke free conditions.

The river remains very low at this time, so it should be a good time to get at places that are normally underwater. Salmon are in the river, I have seen lots of fishermen and hunters.

Rain is predicted soon, some as early as this week. Once the rains start the river will start to rise, which is normal for Fall river conditions.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com