Mining

Post by ILM » Sun May 02, 2021 10:11 pm

News Release: May 1st, 2021

Suction Dredging is Back in Most of California! Posted by PLP. Is this for real
Joe.S.AK
Site Admin

Re: Mining

Post by Joe.S.AK » Sun May 02, 2021 10:58 pm

I heard this yesterday but as is the case with "All Things Internet" I listen but won't have any faith in something until it is 100% confirmed by a reputable source.

I suggest a cautious waiting period and keeping a sharp eye on the club newsletter.

As an aside, I went to the PLP website and didn't see any ACTUAL notice that this had occurred. Here is the closest that I saw: https://www.publiclandsforthepeople.org ... g-in-2021/ I would keep an eye peeled there as well, at least for a week or two.

- Joe -
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon May 03, 2021 2:03 am

Joe is right, don't think you can just go out and dredge here. The article on PLP website gives no specifics, just a general overview. Take note that no case has been won, what PLP is talking about seems to be a "work around", or loop hole if you will.

I cannot see anything in their information that is not something that has not already been addressed in comment meetings and court cases. I, myself have made comments pertaining to " the addition of a pollutant" from suction dredges, as well as "Federal Preemption" and the "US Supremacy Clause."

As of this moment suction dredging and use of mechanical equipment is still banned and CDFW will enforce.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Wed May 05, 2021 2:17 am

Okay, I spoke to Tom Kitchar, president of Waldo Mining District. He was the one that submitted a petition and worked with PLP. But he said that all of this information is a year old, it all happened last year. if you look on the PLP website at the link Joe provided you will see this on the right hand side:

Path for Legally Re-Starting
Gold Suction Dredge Mining in 2021
March 2020 PLP News

I think that someone on one of the forums got this information from the PLP website and didn't read closely enough to see it was published last year.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Joe.S.AK
Site Admin

Post by Joe.S.AK » Wed May 05, 2021 7:16 pm

OK, Stop the Presses! I have some more info:

ICMJ, May 2021, Page 38, "PLP Update" by Scott Harm

The article is titled "Suction Dredging is Back in Most of California"

So, now what new developments are there? :?: :?: :?:

It seems that PLP has (at some very recent, unspecified date) made a news release stating that as a developmental consequence or evolution from two victorious court cases - Godfrey (Federal) and Osterbrink (Calif) - a way to bypass most of the CA Fish & Wildlife and CA Water Board's "Red Tape" has come to life. It seems that the development revolves around "... the definitions for pollutants and discharge along with the intended activity."

(I'm being vague because the article is vague, I assume Scott wrote it that way, intentionally --- for the usual, good, reasons.)

The rest of the 3/4 page story is too ponderous to retype here and I strongly suggest reading the complete article - or - if you are a current member, simply contacting the PLP directly to request an info packet. As to the rest of us - patience, patience, patience.

Yes, it looks as though it's high time to sit up and take notice of what's happening here. :o

- Joe -
Mythicalminer
Gold Miner

Post by Mythicalminer » Thu May 06, 2021 1:36 am

Considering the importance of this news, and my full confidence in Scott Harn (CMJ) that he would not publish something he wasn't pretty sure of... along with my/Waldo's long-term relationship with PLP and their many trips to DC; it certainly sounds like they have found a way to get us back in the water.

That said, and as others have noticed, neither PLP or CMJ have explained HOW this will work. At this early point, I can only assume they have a real good reason for not making all the information public. I assume eventually it will be.

There is already "talk" about how only PLP members can obtain the details... I would remind everyone that any organization such as PLP, The New 49ers, GPAA, etc. (and even Waldo Mining District) is first and foremost beholden TO THEIR MEMBERS (and if what they do helps everyone, great... but it's the dues paying members that HAVE to come first (IMHO)).

BOTTOMLINE: Based on the little I know now, I am not prepared to sell my claims in OR and move to CA to go mining (I am however hoping just maybe that day will come)! I suggest we all keep our fingers crossed. I would also suggest that even if this plan backfires, "they" at least tried and deserve our support. Waldo (and others) just got done taking 2 cases to the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS). We KNOW the law was on our side. We KNEW we couldn't lose if given a fair hearing. However, in both cases SCOTUS refused to hear the cases. We had no control over that, and no explanation was given.

Keep in mind we are dealing with a corrupt govt., corrupted court system, and those against us have a lot more $$!

LET'S ALL PRAY THAT AN ANSWER HAS BEEN FOUND! (And until more details are available, that's the best we can do. Speculation is meaningless).
OregonJim
Platinum Miner

Post by OregonJim » Thu May 06, 2021 2:01 am

I don't have anything to add except that I too am hopeful that some progress will be made. I'd be thrilled if we could just get our highbankers back in action. Well, for now I will just keep hoping to hear good news.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu May 06, 2021 6:24 am

Thanks for you input Tom, really appreciate it.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
OregonJim
Platinum Miner

Post by OregonJim » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:21 pm

Is Dave coming back this summer?
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:47 am