We are still a club & still in business !!

Colo Nuggets
Iron Miner

Re: We are still a club & still in business !!

Post by Colo Nuggets » Fri May 15, 2020 5:46 pm

No problem Jim people are still out there, once you bump into others you find out what's going on behind the scenes. Gold is looking good out there, the more the price goes up the less time you have to spend at it. When it hits 2200 lol im going after it hahaha
Colo Nuggets
Iron Miner

Post by Colo Nuggets » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:42 pm

20220316_164935.jpg
Nome Ak
Going on now for Bering Sea Gold
gshirey
Prospector

Post by gshirey » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:28 pm

Any potlucks or other activities planned for this summer?
Joe.S.AK
Site Admin

Post by Joe.S.AK » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:56 pm

So, has anyone built any new equipment this winter? PLENTY of opportunity over the last 2+ years of curve flattening down in the basement - right?? :lol:

I was really fortunate to see a new piece of equipment that had * * JUST * * that day been announced and I jumped on it like a duck on a June Bug. :roll:

A 6" wide mini sluice with a flare nose. Only 6" x 20.5" riffle area with roughly a 10 x 10" flare area. It's a Jim Dandy little guy small and light even with heavy gauge aluminum sheet metal construction. It uses Gold Hog mats in whatever configuration seems best for your location, although I chose to start up with the "Stock setup", so that I can rework things if I choose to for different conditions. It can use legs with an optional water head to make it the smallest, practical highbanker for testing anywhere you want to hike into. Certainly comfortably within the realm of a bilge pump, too. Soup to nuts for the basic unit came to a few pennies over $120 and that included priority mail charges.

One thing that I do with all my equipment (when practical) is to swap out the factory fasteners with Stainless Steel ones. That's simply because having worked in Nome for a month a long time ago I REALLY learned to dislike rust. The pre-drilled fastening holes for the legs make excellent locations for spare nuts 'n bolts as well --- "Just in Case ...".

So C'mon - what has everyone been up to?

- Joe -
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Well, I didn't actually build any equipment. But I did get my old 2 1/2" dredge out of storage and assembled. It is the old style that uses an inner tube for floatation. I assembled it on a table outside of my garage and that old Briggs engine actually started after being unused for 10-15 years. It is the original engine and 42 years old.

Now one might think it a bit odd that someone who lives in California, where dredging, as well as any kind of mechanical mining is banned, would even go to the trouble of getting a dredge running.

That, coupled with the owner being old and disabled might cause some to wonder at his stability. And why would he bother with that small dredge when he has a much larger one? But in his mind there are valid reasons for optimism.

1. He owns the dredge and it needs to be maintained.
2. It has served him well for many years.
3. it is perfect for carrying in to remote places.
4. It is perfect for working bedrock and very shallow overburden.
5- It sips gas, instead of guzzling it.
6. It is relatively quiet.
7. Summer is coming.
8. There are times in life when optimism, determination, stubbornness and a willingness to overcome, become useful tools that add to a miner's tool box.

Just saying. Who can tell what the future will bring?
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
youngladd
Iron Miner

Post by youngladd » Tue May 31, 2022 7:11 pm

I am here and i am planning a week long trip in Aug this year. i have not been up to happy camp since 2018 mostly due to work and pandemic. but I am planning to go regularly now.