Jim Foley Update

Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Jim Foley Update

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:18 pm

Over the last few months before Jim had his surgery - in my grief now - I had forgotten. In Jim's prayers, that I heard, he often dwelled on his home in heaven and distinguished it from his home in heaven and his home on earth. To most people that may not mean anything, but for me, it told a lot. He had never really done that before a few months ago.

Now that he is not waking up, the doctors have their reasons why. His brain is severely damaged by the stroke. If he did wake up it is likely that he wouldn’t be able to see, speak, feed himself, or breathe on his own. He has also developed an infection (Pneumonia) in his lungs. But I think there is an added reason - he doesn't want to wake up. He really has nothing to look forward to, he hated what the neuropathy was doing to him and it was getting worse, to the point that at some point he wouldn't have been able to do anything but sit in his chair and wait to die, which he felt he was already doing.

I really think he was ready to go months ago, long before he knew about his heart problem. Even though he did have great hope that he would recover from his surgery and feel better and have more energy. I also feel he was torn between the desire to die and leaving me a widow. But there is also that he felt trapped in his body.

So I have decided that I will let him die peacefully. I think he has a few more days before he has to have the stomach feeding portal installed. I have told them not to. It will also be at that time I will have them remove his ventilator so he can pass peacefully. There really is no hope he will recover, but even if there was - recover to what? To continue his neuropathy deterioration? I really think he doesn't want that, and is one reason he hasn't woke up.

I am sorry, so very sorry. Not just for me, but for him, his family, and his close friends. I don't know the exact date they will do this, but it will happen soon. I will go and see him one last time tomorrow and say my goodbyes. I cannot bear to watch him die. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But he would not want to live like this, and I am abiding by his wishes. Please know, my heart goes out to you.

Linda
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Re: Jim Foley Update

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:53 pm

They will start the procedure to let his pass away sometime tomorrow. They will keep him very comfortable so he doesn't suffer. I know this is not the outcome we all so wished for him. My heart is breaking. I will miss him for a very long time.

Linda, Jim's wife
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
delnorter
Gold Miner

Post by delnorter » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:53 am

Thank you Linda, I will miss my friend Jim as well.

Mike
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:41 pm

I received news Jim will probably pass away within 24 hours.
Again I will give my condolences to those who loved and cared for him. My heart is weighed down and extremely sad for my loss as well. I don't know how I am going to get through this, but I know Jehovah God knows and understands my sorrow and will give me peace. But I also know that will take time. I do pray I have the strength to get through this and continue on without him. It will not be easy.

Linda
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
OregonJim
Platinum Miner

Post by OregonJim » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:28 pm

I am terribly sorry to hear the bad news. He was a fine person and a pleasure to be around. Many will remember and miss him.
socalgold
Iron Miner

Post by socalgold » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:16 am

Jim passed away at 8:24pm tonight - July 29, 2023. He lived a good long life. He didn't think he would make it much past his mid 70s... but he did. Rest in peace My Love.

Linda
Mythicalminer
Gold Miner

Post by Mythicalminer » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:51 pm

My heart goes out to my friend and and friend to all miners Jim Foley, may you Rest in Peace Jim!
My heart goes out to Jim's wife Linda who just lost one of the best people I knew.
The only good in this is that Jim is no longer suffering, and doesn't have to answer my daily emails to him.

JIM: Please save me a claim in Heaven, I'll bring the new dredge!