This Coming Season

Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

This Coming Season

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:13 am

Sooooo....I guess we are left to just assume that nobody is doing anything this coming season since NOBODY is posting ANYTHING even on our forums.

Too bad because we have an excellent avenue in these forums for asking questions, giving advice, story telling, remembering past adventures, preparing for this next season and just plain socializing with each other. :twisted: :mrgreen: :shock:
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Tall Tom
Iron Miner

Re: This Coming Season

Post by Tall Tom » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:46 am

It's kind of hard to plan when everything's up in the air on whether or not we're going to be able to do anything on the dredging front. Also now we can't even work our claims because it's illegal to even drive up to them pretty much
LipCa
Copper Miner

Post by LipCa » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:39 am

You are right Jim, I have done nothing yet....
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:56 am

Well Harry, I haven't done anything either, as far as actually mining, but I intend to. I am going to attempt to navigate the high bench I told you about, first of all to determine if it is indeed an old river bench, second, if it is, to see if it might give up an elusive nugget or two.

If I make it up there I will be the first person to ever set foot on that bench, it has been covered in material and even forest for millennia. If it is an old Klamath River bench it is about 150 feet higher than the present river. The state did me a big favor by removing all trees and overburden and actually exposing that bench for the first time ever.

I have also been doing some scouting and finding places to detect that although they may have been mined, no one has ever detected the old tailings. I have found three that look promising, as well as some gulches that are way off the beaten track, beside a creek way up in the mountains, it is unlikely anyone has detected these places. I see no signs of detector digs at all. The old tailing piles look like they have remained the same as when the old timers put them there, no signs that anyone has ever dug into or moved material in them.

So I have been using the winter and the inability to dredge to make some kind of progress. This is the kind of thing I was talking about in my original post, just because we can't do certain things, there certainly are other things we can do that we usually do not have the time for if we can mine other ways.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
skscott
Prospector

Post by skscott » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 pm

Hi Jim- we want to come up the end of April, but are wondering if claims will be open for mining. Does this shutdown include camping on dispersed areas (on New 49er claims)? We live in an area that has no Covid-19 cases and are going crazy wanting to get out on the river. Any info would be appreciated, Steve
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:02 pm

As of right now all claims are open. I do not foresee officials asking us to close them simply because there are usually no large gatherings on them. I suspect that group outings will be cancelled for the foreseeable future, but no word on that just yet. We will know more if and when we get word on the situation from Dave.

skscott wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 pm
Hi Jim- we want to come up the end of April, but are wondering if claims will be open for mining. Does this shutdown include camping on dispersed areas (on New 49er claims)? We live in an area that has no Covid-19 cases and are going crazy wanting to get out on the river. Any info would be appreciated, Steve
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Joe.S.AK
Site Admin

Post by Joe.S.AK » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:19 am

Jim,

I saw a 'church sign' on the way to the pharmacy yesterday that was a great reminder of an old, wise saying. It even works here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass

Joe
LipCa
Copper Miner

Post by LipCa » Thu May 07, 2020 2:52 pm

Picked up a few small ones the other day...... a 10 grainer and a couple 3 grainers.....
Better get out there before I get them all...grin.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Sat May 09, 2020 5:47 pm

coming into the conversation late. I didn't realise I was logged out because I never log out, so it always shows me new posts. But I was logged out so it never showed new posts.

Glad you are getting something Harry. I tried that high bench, but it was futile. My legs just won't navigate it even though it is not really steep. It was actually a terrifying experience and I only went up a little way.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

foley4086@gmail.com
Joe.S.AK
Site Admin

Post by Joe.S.AK » Sat May 09, 2020 8:16 pm

And here, all along, I thought you were just in your recliner, sawing logs. It makes me feel better that, from time to time, I suffer an uncommanded logout from the forum - with the same "Lost in Space" results.

Glad you're back in the saddle!

Joe