New forum provider and formatting

Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

New forum provider and formatting

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 am

Because of unmanageable problems with the old Best Boards provider we are forced to upgrade to a new forum provider and format. This phpBB provider seemed like our best option.

Unfortunately we will not be able to migrate the information contained on our old boards because they no longer function the way they are supposed to and we cannot retrieve the data stored on them. We are sorry to lose all of the valuable information and have tried for two years to be able to download the database unsuccessfully.

So, let's just start anew with these new boards and build a new database of knowledge based on our members expertise, experience and hands on hard work.

If any members want to save any of the old information from the old boards I recommend that you search through the posts and copy anything you want to save. You can do that at this link: http://frost.bbboy.net/thenew49ers

As we continue to work on features in this new board, you may see changes to the look of the board when you come back to it each time.

Let's get this board off to a strong start by posting lots of information in all categories.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

jfoley@sisqtel.net
LipCa
Copper Miner

Re: New forum provider and formatting

Post by LipCa » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:38 am

Just a quick question...... When I first went to the link for this site, I got a notification that this was an "unsecure site". Can you explain that.
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:15 am

It has something to do with how the Internet works now. It seems as if the address of the requested site doesn't start with https, then you get that message. https designates a secure site, whereas always before site addresses started with a simple http.

That's just my thoughts, someone else may have a better explanation. I always thought it silly that a site would be classed as secure when there is no reason for it. Nothing is sold here and no credit card or other financial information is here.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

jfoley@sisqtel.net
Inspector
Iron Miner

Post by Inspector » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks Jim for all the hard work on this forum and all the other ways you have helped the New 49er's over the years.
We could not have a better friend.
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user."
Theodore Roosevelt
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks Tom, but I really have to credit my wife Linda with most of the board set up. I tweaked settings and stuff, but she did the major hard stuff.
Inspector wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm
Thanks Jim for all the hard work on this forum and all the other ways you have helped the New 49er's over the years.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

jfoley@sisqtel.net
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:08 pm

We are still tweaking features as we find them. If you poke around the board and look at features you can do in posts you will see some neat stuff.

Even just reading posts you will find features such as; there is a "thank you" button which acts as a "like" button. This is where you can thank a person for their post. Its indicator is a "thumbs up" button.

Avatars are easy to install right from your computer if you have an avatar you like on your machine.
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

jfoley@sisqtel.net
smwon
Site Admin

Post by smwon » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:17 am

Jim_Alaska wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Thanks Tom, but I really have to credit my wife Linda with most of the board set up. I tweaked settings and stuff, but she did the major hard stuff.
Inspector wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:34 pm
Thank you Jim, I was happy I could help you get this board up and running. ☺
Linda Foley Northern California
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Before folks start asking I thought I would give you guys some information regarding what is called "ranks" on the new forums. You may have noticed on other forums that under a member's name there may be things like stars, dots, or even a title like "super contributor." These usually correspond to the number of posts the member has made.

We did it a little differently, we wanted to keep the whole boards theme to one of mining terms if we could. So we came up with ranks that will contain different miner titles. You can find them under your username or Avatar.

In ascending order they will read as minerals of increasing value so that the more posts you make, the higher the value of the mineral rank you will be assigned. This is an automatic feature, I don't have to keep track and manually assign ranks. We just thought it would be something interesting and unlike most forums.

So, here is what your ranks will say when a certain number of posts is reached.
  • Rank Title and Minimum Posts

General Manager New 49'ers Dave Mack
    - Site Admin Linda and I
    - Registered User 0
    - Prospector 1
    - Iron Miner 5
    - Copper Miner 15
    - Silver Miner 25
    - Gold Miner 40
    - Platinum Miner 75
    - Mega Miner 150
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

jfoley@sisqtel.net
LipCa
Copper Miner

Post by LipCa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Jim, I only want to be classified as a "prospector/gold miner". Too late for the "prospector". Have to stop at 40 post, I guess.... grin
Jim_Alaska
Site Admin

Post by Jim_Alaska » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:21 pm

:lol: leave it to you to come up with something we had not thought of. If you do stop at 40, you will have to deal with me the next time I see you at Walmart. :lol:
Jim_Alaska
Administrator

jfoley@sisqtel.net